Friday, 19 April 2013

'Three Shades of Blue' Easter Dress


I literally just finished making this dress this morning, organised the photo shoot to be able to meet up with Project run and play week 4 formal design wear.
Three shades of blue????
Yes, the flower fabric, satin and ribbon. the flower fabric is some sort of lace but not sure, the flowers are actually made in velvet. The shades are so close to each other that they compliment one another.:)




Dress is fully lined in a royal blue lining fabric similar to the satin fabric.
So why the panels, well I didn't have any enough flower fabric to give me the volume I wanted in the skirt. I had 2 yards of fabric to make two dresses which was about 56" wide. Total length of skirt was about 75" after I used three velvet panels and two satin panels (I like my skirts full :)  )
I made this in 3/4 sleeve.
Also the shiny flower shape in the flower fabric was 'rough' as in is not smooth on the skin and a little girl is more concerned about comfort than fashion that I had to put a band of satin at the sleeves, and neckline for comfort.

Back View

Skirt with different panels joined
I cut three pieces of lace fabric and two of satin to form the skirt.

Dress without sleeves
This was supposed to be a simple sleeveless dress but the flower fabric was not comfortable next to the skin so had to protect the arm and put sleeves in!!



Some more pictures.


She insisted on taking a picture in the garden.


Well, hope this is formal enough. I love it though.
Wondering why you can only see one girl?, Well only  one dress as been made....
Ha ha ha but don't worry too much, the other will be made.

Thanks for visiting.. see you soon.







14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, my most expensive fabric to date. Although it won't break the bank. :)

      Delete
  2. Love the colors and texture variations here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, didn't really notice the textures until pointed out. lol

      Delete
  3. Love the textures and colors. I love that the cuffs, neckband and panels all turned out to be fun design details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charity, to think that they were not intended in the original design but more out of necessity.

      Delete
  4. You did a great job with this dress! I love the fabric you chose.
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It took me a whole day and a few hours to complete

      Delete
  5. What a cutie! The dress is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful beautiful beautiful! love this color on her! you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosenau, I glad you also like it.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks. Your comment is appreciated and I love your blog.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, Please leave a message, Thanks